Chow Chow Bath recipe with step-by-step pictures and video. Authentic Karnataka Special Kesari bath(sweet பைன் ஆப்பிள் கேசரி ) Khara bath (spicy உப்மா) with coconut chutney and ultimate South Indian Breakfast Recipe. Khara Bhath is also known as masala bath or Rava masala bath which is very famous in Karnataka homes and Hotels. It’s slightly different from our TamilNadu Style Rava Upma where we don’t add chili powder or any masala for Upma, this Karnataka style masala bath is tasted different. Even for the Kesari Bhath, I wanted to share Karnataka Wedding style Kesari Bath, not the normal Kesari, Only difference is they use Pineapple Essense for Kesari Bath rest all the same as our regular Kesari. Some Karnataka Specials you may like to try, Bisibella Bath, MTR Bisi Bella Bath Powder Mysore Sambar, Mysore Rasam More Karanataka Recipe like, Tomato Rava Upma Recipe, Semiya Upma Recipe, Milet Upma, Upma Pesarattu, Arisi Upma,
What is Chow chow Bath?
Chow Chow Bath is nothing but the combination of Khara bath and Kesari Bath served with coconut chutney. It is a delicious breakfast you can find this in Karnataka weddings and Hotels. The specialty of this dish is ghee + oil Combo, they melt in your mouth, and they stay shine, fresh and glossy for long. Very rich and delicious South Indian Breakfast recipe.
Karnataka Chow Chow Bath Video recipe,
How to make Chow Chow Bath at Home:
Kara Bath Ingredients:
1 tsp oil + 1 tbsp Ghee
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp chana dal
1 medium sized onion finely chopped
1/2 cup of mixed vegetables like beans carrot, green peas
1/cup rava + 1 & 1/2 cup of water
1/2 tsp chili powder, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp salt
Khara Bath Recipe:
- Take 1/2 cup of Rava and 1 and 1/2 cup of water(The water ratio should be 1:3 1 part Rava means 3 parts of water). Measure the water and rava, keep aside.
- Heat a pan in low flame, add 1 tsp oil + 1 tbsp Ghee(pls ingore the messy pan) add 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp chana dal, let the mustard seeds to splutter. add Curry leaves & green chilies.
- Add 1 medium sized onion finely chopped, roast well till it turns golden. Add mixed vegetables like beans, carrot, green peas, saute well. add salt and let the vegetables to cook. At this stage add turmeric powder, chili powder(i skipped). Now add the 1 & 1/2 cup of water, let it to boil well.
- Once the water boils, start adding the rava and keep stiring. Make sure that no lumps formed. Now cover and cook for just 2 mins in low flame(let the rava to cook). Now the rava cooked well, its not sticking on the pan, Kara Bath is ready to serve!
Kesari Bath Ingrdients:
1 tsp oil + 1 tbsp Ghee
1/2 cup rava + 1 & 1/2 water
1/4 cup of chopped pine apple chunks + 2 tbsp water + 2 tbsp Sugar
A pinch Saffron + 2 tbsp Milk or Food Colour
2 drops of Pineapple Essence or Cardamom Powder
Kesari Bath Recipe:
- Chop pineapple and keep aside(i used canned pineapples). Heat a pan on low flame, add 1 tsp oil + 1 tbsp Ghee, add 10 cashews, roast till light golden and remove it to a plate.
- Into the same pan add ½ cup rava + 2 cloves roast till you get nice aroma from the rava, keep in low flame and roast.
- Once the rava turns crisps transfer to a plate. Into the same pan add ¼ cup of pineapple chunks + 2 tbsp water + 2 tbsp sugar, let it cook for 5 mins or till it turns soft.
- Now add 1 & 1/2 cup of Water + Saffron Milk(a pinch saffron in 2 tbsp warm milk) + a drop of pineapple essence let it boil well.
- Add roasted rava, mix well without lumps, Cover and cook for 2 mins till the rava cooks.
- Now add ¾ cup of sugar, mix well. Cover again and cook it. Finally add a tbsp ghee, roasted cashews, that’s it Pineapple kesari ready!
Tips to make Perfect Kesari Bath:
- Adding cloves gives nice flavour don’t skip
- Instead saffron milk u can use food colour
- Instead of canned pineapples you can use fresh ones to make sure you cook properly otherwise it will disturb in every bite.
Coconut Chutney recipe:
Let’s make the coconut chutney for kara Bath, Take 1/2 coconut, 3 tbsp roasted chana dal, 3 green chilies, 1/2 tsp salt.
Add 1/2 cup of water grind it to a fine paste. that’s it coconut chutney is ready to serve. Kara Bath and coconut chutney is delicious combo. Do try this recipe and let me know your Feedback!
Have a Good Day!!!