Simple Semiya Kichadi aka vermicelli kichadi with loads of Vegetables paired with Coconut Chutney. Just in 5 mins you can Semiya kichadi if you have MTR Vermicelli and some vegetables. If you don’t have idli batter at home or no clue what to pack for a lunch box this would be the right option because this has loads of vegetables, and is quick, and easy to make! Kids would love to have this Semiya kichadi because they love noodles. More Semiya/Vermicelli Recipes, Ragi Semiya Idli, Semiya Kesari, Semiya Payasam
Packing Lunch is a challenging job we can’t cook for kids and adults separately at home. For one-time cooking, kids and adults should eat the same food. This Semiya kichadi is a too good idea for packing both kid’s and adult lunch boxes. This Kichadi is too good with coconut chutney. I have shared both recipes in one video and also tips Shared How to Cook Vermicelli to get non-sticky consistency and stay soft for a long.
What is Vermicelli aka Semiya kichadi?
Vermicelli, also known as semiya or seviyan is a light South Indian breakfast food made with vegetables and spices. It’s a healthy, and nutritious dish that can be mildly spiced and cooked with vegetables to satisfy the tastebuds. Also, it is a bit lower on the glycemic index (GI) 58 than rice which is 78, so it’s in between these scores. so it is good for toddlers.
Difference between kichadi and Upma?
The main difference between Upma and kichadi is the inclusion of tadka, we start with mustard seeds and chana dal for Upma but for kichadi, we add cinnamon & cloves. Both have vegetables. Both can be made with Rava and vermicelli as well. both have ghee cashews everything. Similarities are more.
Semiya Kichadi Recipe Video:
Semiya Kichadi Vermicelli kichadi
- 1 cup MTR vermicelli
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 inch cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tomato, finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 3 green chilies
- 2 cups vegetables
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- Heat a pan with 2 cups of water let it boil well. Add 1 cup of Vermicelli, cook for 2 mins not more than that. Once done drain the water and keep aside.
- Heat a pan add 1 tbsp oil, add 1 inch cinnamon, 2 cloves add 1 finely chopped onion, 1 tsp ginger garlic paste saute well.
- Add 1 tomato, 3 green chilies finely chopped saute well. Add ¼ tsp turmeric powder, salt, vegetables, cover and cook till everything becomes soft.
- Now add cooked vermicelli mix well with the vegetables, Finally add a tsp ghee mix well and switch off. Semiya Kichadi Donne!
How to cook Non- Sticky Vermicelli,
- Take a Pan, boil 2 cups of water let it boil well. The water should be boiled well before you add vermicelli otherwise it will turn sticky. Once the water is well boiled add 1 cup of vermicelli.
- After adding the vermicelli, mix it well. Cook just for 2 mins not more than that. It should cook 80% not completely. This is the right stage to switch off the stove.
- Drain the water completely, Vermicelli is ready to make Upma or Kichadi.
- In case it is overcooked just wash it in running tap water so that we can stop overcooking also it will get back to form.
- Follow these steps to cook vermicelli. You will get lump-free and non-sticky vermicelli.
Step by Step MTR Vermicelli kichadi recipe,
Heat a pan add 1 tbsp oil, add 1-inch cinnamon, 2 cloves add 1 finely chopped onion, 1 tsp ginger garlic paste saute well. Add 1 tomato, and 3 green chilies finely chopped, and saute well.
Add ¼ tsp turmeric powder, salt, and vegetables(beans, carrot, green peas, potato), cover, and cook till everything becomes soft.
Now add cooked vermicelli and mix well with the vegetables, Finally, add a tsp of ghee mix well and switch off. Semiya Kichadi Donne!
- instead of roasting the semiya we can cook and add it so that it will stay soft for long
- adjust the spiciness according to your tastebuds
- don’t overcook vegetables, they should be a little crunchy
- Adding potatoes gives a nice taste also kids love it.
- Adding ghee keeps the vermicelli stay soft till lunchtime so don’t skip
Do check the Red Chili coconut chutney recipe here
Hope you like this simple variety of rice recipe. Do stay tuned to Prema’s Culinary for more interesting recipes, if you have any doubts about this recipe or If you want any specific recipes you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do Follow me on Instagram for more Recent updates and every cooking recipe video share your thoughts with me, Also tag our page on Instagram @premasculinary with hashtag it on #premasculinary
Thanks & Have a Good Day! 😉Enjoy Cooking and Mindful Eating!