buck wheat kichdi recipe | easy navratri fasting recipe
Buckwheat kichdi or buckwheat groats/kuttu kichdi ,with step by step pics and video. Buckwheat, which is also known as buckwheat groats or kasha are grain-like seeds and have various health benefits. The tastes is similar like cracked wheat and has chewy texture.Making buck wheat kichdi is very simple and easy , it is very good menu for lunch box and dinner for aged people as well. Like usual fasting recipe this kichdi is no onion no garlic recipe. This kichdi usually good to have in fasting time because it is a good source of protein and gives lot of energy. I made this kichdi similarly like sabudhana kitchdi a well know easy navratri fasting recipe. Here with i have buckwheat cooking tips, buckwheat recipe ideas.
About Buck wheat:
buckwheat is also called as kuttu in hindi, kutto in gujarati and papparai in tamil. It is known to reduce cholesterol and also helps in lowering the blood sugars and is a good source of protein. This is available in most of the grocery stores or specialty stores or health stores.I bought it in modern store, KL.
How To Select Buckwheat
There are two types of buck wheat,Untoasted buckwheat (photo on top) is a pale greenish white and has a mild taste. It’s a quick-cooking grain that’s packed with nutrition. It usually comes “hulled” and has a pretty little heart shape unlike any other grain out there.Another type is Toasted buckwheat is known as “Kasha” . It has a dark brown color with an earthy flavor due to the toasting.So buckwheat is RAW, and kasha is NOT RAW.Always do your best to choose organic buckwheat or kasha. Organics tend to contain more nutrients and less pesticides and it tastes better.
How to cook Buckwheat:
Soak buck wheat atleast for 3 hours so that i will cook easily and soft kichdi you will get.If you don’t want to pre-soak, then simply give it a quick rinse before cooking. Alternatively, you can toast it in a dry pan to bring out more flavor. By the way, when you toast buckwheat it then is known as kasha. Always cook 1 cup buck wheat with 2 cups water. cooking of buck wheat is similar like rice,1:2 ratio and you can cook in pressure cooker also.
Buckwheat kichdi recipe video:
Lets see the how to make buckwheat kichdi by step wise pictures and procedures:
Soak buckwheat for 3 hours before cooking or dry roast it into brown colour,keep aside.
Roast peanuts in a frying pan,till they become crunchy and golden. let them cool.Grind it into a coarse powder keep aside.Heat oil in pan, add the cumin seeds and fry for a few seconds.add green chilies, ginger sauté for a minute.
Now add in the chopped potatoes,fry well.
add curry leaves fry well.Add the grind peanuts and soaked buckwheat blend well.Add the turmeric powder and hing along with the salt, and mix everything well.
Add 2 cups water close the lid ,pressure cook for 3 whistle cook well.the buckwheat is cooked and the dish turns a little dry. Serve hot with pickle .
A quick recap of buckwheat kichdi recipe:
- 1 cup buck wheat
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 green chilly
- 1 inch ginger,chopped
- 1 small potato peeled,chopped
- hing a pinch
- 1 tbsp peanuts
- ⅓ tsp turmeric powder
- coriander leaves
- salt as needed
- Soak buckwheat with enough water for 3 hrs or dry roast it to brown colour keep aside.
- Roast peanuts in a frying pan,till they become crunchy and golden. let them cool.
- Grind it into a coarse powder keep aside.
- Heat oil in pan, add the cumin seeds and fry for a few seconds.
- add green chilies, ginger sauté for a minute.
- Now add in the chopped potatoes,fry well.
- add curry leaves fry well.
- Add the grind peanuts and soaked buckwheat blend well.
- Add the turmeric powder and hing along
- with the salt, and mix everything well.
- Add 2 cups water close the lid ,
- pressure cook for 3 whistle cook well.
- the buckwheat is cooked and the dish turns a little dry. Serve hot with pickle .
you can add moong dal while cooking.
If you are looking for navratri recipes,
- 9 Easy sundal recipe for Navratri | Navratri Recipes
- 21 Simple and Easy Navratri(navaratri) Recipes | Golu Recipes | Navratri 2014
- Preparation for Navratri(Navaratri) | Golu Ideas | How to keep Golu
- Saraswathi Pooja | Ayudha Pooja Special
- How to cook and store Dried Beans
Happy Navratri to all!!!