Simple Mint Rice and potato roast Recipe with step-by-step pictures and Detailed Tamil Video. This pudina Sadam recipe can be made easily with leftover rice, mint, and Indian spices. In this recipe, I have shared how to make instant Pudina Sadam within 5 mins. This is not an Authentic Brahmin style Pudina Sadam though simple easy method that I follow in my early morning cooking which is suitable for kids and adults to lunch Boxes. A similar one Thakkali Sadam was a super hit and next this is pudina Sadam. Many tried and sent the pictures. This pudina Sadam is good for traveling and Lunch Boxes or even for our lazy days!
How I made this Pudina Sadam(Mint Rice):
Very easy and simple Pudina was made with Seeraga Samba rice. You can see the texture of the rice in the picture is perfect for all types of Variety rice. Being Born and brought up in Thanjavur we Don’t use Whole spices in making a variety of rice like Thakkali Sadam, pudina rice, etc. Also in Hotels, they serve Thakkali Sadam without wholes spices unless it is biryani. This Pudina Sadam doesn’t have biryani whole spices. Still, it is flavourful rice.
We used to go on temple visits in and around Thanjavur. Mostly we carry home food to avoid restaurants. Amma is very particular she always packs food from home. Those days we don’t have aluminum foil or fancy packing boxes, amma pack food in banana leaves or Mandara Ellai. This is how she packs food with potato roast, the only thing I missed is paruppu thogaiyal. She keeps Thogaiyal in kattu soru(we call kalanda sadam).
Pudina Sadam Recipe Video:
Pudina Sadam recipe, How to make Simple Home Style Mint Rice
- 1 cup Seeraga samba rice
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp chana dal
- a pinch hing
- 4 dried red chilies
- 10 cashews
- salt as needed + Lime juice
For Pudina Paste
- 1 bunch fresh mint leaves
- 5 green chilies
- a small piece ginger
- Cook 1 cup rice with 2 cups of water. Once cooked cool down completely. Keep aside. You can use leftover rice too.
- Into a mixie jar add 1 pit full of fresh mint leaves, coriander leaves, few curry leaves, 4 green chilies, a small piece ginger + ¼ cup water grind it to a fine paste
- Heat a pan add 1 tbsp oil, add 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tsp chana dal, 4 dried red chilies, 10 cashews roast them till it turn golden
- Add the freshly ground puree and then cooked rice + 1 tsp salt mix well. Keep in low flame and mix well. That’s it pudina sadam ready!
Simple Potato Roast Recipe side dish for Pudina Sadam:
There are so many ways to make potato roast. This one is very simple without onion and garlic. No Sambar Powder, Quick and Easy recipe.
- 2 potatoes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Take 2 potatoes + 1 cup water, pressure cook 3 whistles and then switch off
- Cool down completely and then peel the skin dice it and keep aside
- Heat a Kadai with 1 tbsp oil(prefer Chukku kadalai ennai), Add 1 tsp mustard seeds, urad dal and hing(Perungayam)
- Add the Boiled Potatoes, chili powder, turmeric powder, salt and roast well, in low flame. Until it turns golden.
More One Pot meal recipes that you can pack for lunch box, Lunch Box recipes or Kalanda Sadam recipes, Nellikai Sadam recipe, Vetrilai Sadam recipe, Maa inji Sadam recipe, Keerai Sadam recipe, Verkadalai Sadam, Carrot Sadam, Karuvepillai Sadam recipe.
Hope you like this simple variety of rice recipe. Do stay tuned to Prema’s Culinary for more Lunch Box Recipe. If you have any doubts about this recipe or If you want any specific recipes you can email me at email@example.com.
Do Follow me on Instagram for more Recent updates and every cooking recipe video share your thoughts with me, Also tag our page on Instagram @premasculinary with hashtag it on #premasculinary
Thanks & Have a Good Day! 😉Enjoy Cooking and Mindful Eating!