To be honest, i wasn’t aware of this recipe till recently, I was invited by one of my friends for the Pongal lunch and she had made this Nellikkai Sadam Recipe, as one of the rice variety. I was very surprised with the name and also the way she made it. I asked she passed the recipe and I tried it at home everyone loves it. Since am a great fan of One Pot meal this Nellikkai Sadam is on repeated mode these days.
A few days before I have share Maa inji Sadam
have you checked that recipe, if not here is the link quickly check it. Both are equally tasted good.
I have used leftover rice to make the Nellikkai Sadam, alternative, you can cook rice, preferably seeraga samba rice for an authentic Tamil flavor, cool down completely, and then use it. I used Mango Ginger(grated Maa inji for Extra flavor) you can also use grated ginger and ground it to smooth paste. lastly, adding vegetables grated carrots, or beets to this dish is completely open-ended.
Nellikkai Sadam, Quick and Easy Method:
Nellikkai Sadam, How to make Amla rice using leftover rice, Easy Lunch Box Recipe
Author: Premalatha Aravindhan
Recipe type: lunch box
- 2 cup cooked rice or leftover rice + 1tsp oil
- 2 gooseberry/nellikkai, grated
- 1-inch ginger or maa inji grated
- 3 green chilies
- grated carrots(optional)
- salt as required
- For tempering
- 1 tsp mustard seeds,
- 1 tbsp chana dal,
- ½ tsp urad dal,
- 10 cashews or peanuts
- curry leaves
- Take rice if you are using the leftover rice from the fridge, bring it to room temperature, and then add a tsp of oil and then use it. If it is newly cooked rice, cool down completely and then sprinkle oil spread it in a plate, keep aside. Now Heat a tsp oil in a Kadai add 1 tsp mustard seeds, 1 tbsp chana dal, ½ tsp urad dal, 10 cashews or peanuts fry well, let the mustard seeds splutter.
- Add curry leaves, 2 gooseberries grated, 1-inch ginger or mango ginger grated, 3 green chilies saute well.
- Add 1 tsp salt and ⅓ tsp turmeric powder, mix well. Add the cooked rice saute well on low flame. just toss for a min and then switch off the stove. Tasty delicious Nellikkai Sadam is ready to serve.
for best result use leftover rice
nellikkai Sadam stays good for a day if you are using leftover rice. if you use newly cooked rice it will stay good for 2 days
its a very good travel food too, if you are packing for travel, add more sesame oil. since oil is a natural preservative.
Step By Step Nellikkai Sadam Preparation Method:
Add 1 tsp salt and 1/3 tsp turmeric powder, mix well. Add the cooked rice saute well on low flame. just toss for a min and then switch off the stove. Tasty delicious Nellikkai Sadam is ready to serve.