Coconut rice | Thengai sadam | Kobbari Rice is a common and staple food in South India especially in Tamil Nadu. Freshly grated coconut would be great to try this rice.As the festival season is here we have already started to plan our navratri Menu.Apart from the usual festival rice varieties like Lemon rice, Puliyodharai(tamarind rice) we also prepare coconut rice very often.This is a very simple variety rice to prepare, if you have grated coconut in hand it hardly takes few minutes to prepare this Variety rice.It is also an easy lunch box recipe which can be make very quick in the busy mornings.It goes well with paruppu(dal) thogaiyal or with papadams.I simply love it with potato fry.
|Coconut Rice (Thengai Satham) Recipe TamilNadu Style | Variety Rice Recipes
Author : Premalatha Aravindhan Category : Variety Rice Recipes
Prep and cooking Time: below 30 Mins Cuisine : South Indian serves : 2-3
- 1 and 1/2 cups freshly grated coconut
- 1 and 1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1/4 cup split black gram (urad dal),soaked in some warm water for 10 minutes
- 2 tsp Bengal gram (channa dal), optional
- 3-4 dried red chillies (or as per taste)
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida powder
- Few sprigs of curry leaves
- Few cashews
- Salt to taste
- Soak the split black gram (urad dal) in water for 15 minutes before making.
- Heat oil and temper the seeds.Once they start popping, add the drained Urad dal, red chillies, cashews , curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Fry well,till it turns golden brown.
- Once the lentils have browned and cashews roasted, add the grated coconut and stir for 5-10 min or until the coconut gets roasted.
- Now add in the rice.
- Mix well until combined.
- Rice should be grained,soaked in some water for at least 20 min and cooked such that grains are separated. Left overs work great too.
- Freshly grated coconut is good if you are using store bought or freezed thaw it first before using.Check the expiry date before buying
- I used split urad dal,but you can use whole urad but taste will vary.
Here is the delicious coconut rice is ready to serve.
Have a nice day!!!
Technorati Tags: Coconut rice,Coconut rice southindian style,coconut rice tamilnadu style,how ro make coconut rice,variety rice,lunch box menu,lunch box,rice variety,rice,coconut recipes,coconut,navratri recipe,pandigai,recipe,how to cook,how make coconut rice