Vengaya Vatha Kuzhambu recipe, How to make Authentic Vatha Kulambu in Iyengar style
Vengaya vatha kuzhambu with suttu appalam yeah you read it right that’s a divine combo in Iyer Iyengar Cuisine. Vengayam is nothing but shallots in English. Proper Authentic South Indian way of Making Vengaya Vatha Kuzhambu recipe with the tips to make it perfect thickness and bring out the tastes. My Vengaya Vatha kuzhambu recipe is super Hit on Instagram many of my readers requested the recipe. Today only for my readers I shot the video. It’s a Complete voice over video, it is very easy to understand for the beginners. Many of you asked me how am making thick vatha kuzhambu??? Today I shared the secret in this recipe. Do try this and let me know How your recipe turned out.
What is the difference between Vatha Kuzhambu and Vathal Kuzhambu?
vatha kuzhambu means sundina kuzhambu in English the Tamarind gravy is reduced to thickness. But the Vathal kuzhambu is made with sun-dried vegetables(vathal). Like Sundaikkai vathal kuzhambu, manga vathal, kothavarangai vathal, etc. Both the cooking procedure is the same but we add dried vathal in vathal kuzhambu but in vatha kuzhambu no dried vegetables maybe some fresh vegetables can be added.
Sharing some tips for perfect thick Vatha kuzhambu,
1. Make sure you extract thick tamarind juice with less water. For example, if you take 1 lemon sized tamarind add 1 cup water soak for 15 mins and extract the thick juice. Don’t take second water. Then it will get diluted.
2. Shallots definitely add more flavor to the kuzhambu and fry in oil till it gets translucent.
3. Also use gingelly oil, as that adds to the flavor as well.
4. I always add a bit of jaggery at the end. if you the spicy version you can skip.
5. Sometimes I add Thalippu Vadagam toVatha kuzhambu since it is healthy.
And Vatha kuzhambu tastes yummy the next day. I would love to have it with idli the next day. All the above tips for beginners, cooking experts pls kindly ignore.
Vengaya(shallots) Vatha Kuzhambu Recipe Video:
Chinna Vengaya Vatha Kuzhambu Recipe, Onion Vatha Kuzhambu recipe, Shallots Vatha Kuzhambu:
- 10 shallot/வெங்காயம்
- 1 Small Gooseberry Size Tamarind / புளி
- ⅓ tsp Turmeric Powder / மஞ்சள்தூள்
- 2 tsp Coriander powder / கொத்தமல்லி
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder / மிளகாய்
- Salt / உப்பு As Required
- 2 tbsp Sesame Oil / நல்லெண்ணெய்
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / கடுகு
- ½ tsp Methi Seeds / வெந்தயம்
- Soak tamarind in water for 15 minutes. Then, squeeze the tamarind, extract water from it, and discard the pulp.
- In a pan, heat 1tbsp of sesame oil, then add 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / கடுகு
- ½ tsp Methi Seeds / வெந்தயம்,
- Then, add the onion, and saute till translucent.
- Pour the tamarind water, once it starts to boil, add the turmeric powder, coriander powder, chili powder, and salt.
- Cook covered for 5 minutes, till the gravy thickens and the oil separates.
- Serve this VENGAYA Vatha Kuzhambu with rice and SUTTA APPALAM.
Don't use coconut as it makes the Kulambu taste bland.
Use sesame oil only which gives a great taste and also adds it generously.
Adjust red chili powder as per spice level required for this Vatha Kuzhambu recipe.
How to make Authentic Vatha Kuzhambu in Iyengar style, step by step Procedure:
Soak tamarind in water for 15 minutes. Then, squeeze the tamarind, extract water from it, and discard the pulp. In a pan, heat 1tbsp of sesame oil, then add 1 tsp Mustard Seeds / கடுகு ½ tsp Methi Seeds / வெந்தயம். Let the mustard seeds to splutter.
Then, add the onion, and saute till translucent. always fry the onion in low flame otherwise it will burn soon. Pour the thick tamarind water. Don’t dilute the water.
once it starts to boil, add the turmeric powder, coriander powder, chili powder, and salt. Cook covered for 5 minutes, till the gravy thickens and the oil separates.
Open the lid and keep stir in between otherwise it will get stick at the bottom. Once it become thick switch off the stove. Vengaya Vatha Kuzhambu is ready now. Serve this VENGAYA Vatha Kuzhambu with rice and SUTTA appalam.
IMPORTANT NOTES Tips for Perfect Vatha Kuzhambu Recipe
I used SHALLOTS(CHINNA VENGAYAM) in my recipe you can use big onion also. Don’t use coconut as it makes the Kulambu taste bland. Use sesame oil only which gives a great taste and also adds it generously. Adjust red chili powder as per spice level required for this Vatha Kuzhambu recipe.
Do check out my MIL Style Vatha Kuzhambu recipe.
List of Puli Kulambu or Vatha Kuzhambu Varieties you could to try,
- Kathirikai Puli Kulambu/Brinjal Puli Kuzhambu
- Pavakkai Puli Kulambu/pavakkai Puli Kuzhambu
- Karamani Kara Kuzhambu
- Poondu(garlic) Kuzhambu
- Karunaikizhangu Kara KuzhambuVendhaya Kuzhambu
- Milagu Kuzhambu
Good Day Everyone!!!