karupatti adhirasam recipe, with Just 2 main ingredients, raw rice and Karupatti(palm jaggery). A foolproof karupatti adhirasam recipe, trips & tricks shared to make a perfectly soft inside and crispy outside. If you want to try Adhirasam with Jaggery check this short video of making Adhirasam for beginners. Athirasam/Adhirasam is a mandatory bBakshanam(sweet) in all Tamil Homes. This TamilNadu famous Adhirasam is not easy to make as we think but still if we follow proper measurement and few things anyone can make Adhirasam.
My husband’s favorite sweet after Asoka Halwa, I often make this at home whenever he carves for Adhirasam. I learned this from amma, almost 17 yrs now am following the same method whenever I make, it never fails. Only we go wrong in choosing the rice, we have to use Maavu Pacharisi, and another one is paagu stage, where most of us miss it. I clearly mentioned the paagu consistency in this post. For Maavu Pacharisi check @selviorganicstore they have maavu pacharisi and Pure Karupatti as well.
These days I am trying to avoid sugar as much as possible, not only for me I am totally skipping sugar for kids too. Making in Karupatti and frying in Cold Pressed oil is completely healthy once in a while that too for festivals and occasions we celebrate in a healthy way. Without any further ado let’s check how to make Karupatti Adhirasam.
Short Video of Making karupatti adhirasam recipe,
karupatti adhirasam recipe How to make Athirasam with Palm Jaggery,
- Raw rice 1 cup
- Karupatti ¾ cup
- ¼ cup water
- 3 cardamom crushed
- Wash and soak 1 cup of raw rice(maavu pachaarisi) for 2 hours. Drain the water completely. spread the rice on a clean cloth and let it dry. Should not dry it completely, when the rice is still damp transfer the rice in a mixer, grind it to a powder.
- Sieve to a powder, the texture should be like Fine Rava. In a thick bottomed vessel, add ¾ cup of jaggery to it, Mix well and let it dissolve completely.
- In 5 to 7 mins, the syrup will thicken, the color will darken and the bubbles will be incessant as it will boil.
- Simmer the flame completely. In 7 mins, the syrup starts to come to string consistency.
- Keep a small bowl of water and add a few drops of the syrup. If the drops settle in the water and you are able to gather the syrup with your fingertips, that is the correct consistency. The syrup should form a small softball. Switch off the stove.
- Add the jaggery syrup, with the rice flour little by a little while mixing it with a ladle. All the flour will be used up.
- The dough will be a bit loose but it will come to the correct consistency once the dough cools down.
- Rest the dough at room temperature in an airtight container for at least 24 hours. After 24 hours, Divide the dough into equal small lemon sized balls.
- Grease a plastic sheet or a plantain leaf with oil. Place a ball on the leaf and pat with your fingertips into a flat disc. It should neither be thick nor too thin.
- Heat oil in a Kadai. After it gets hot, take a pea-sized ball, gently press between your fingers and drop into the oil. If it rises slowly to the top, the temperature is correct. Now completely simmer the flame.
- Drop the adhirasam into the oil. Don’t disturb for a few seconds, it will sink initially and will then rise to the top.
- Flip it gently for the other side to cook. It will puff up a bit like a poori. Once it turns crispy Immediately, press the cooked adhirasam with the backside of the two flat ladles, to remove excess oil, and to flatten it.
- Now the Adhirasam is ready to serve.
- Once the adhirasam cools down completely, store in a container.
Important Tips & Tricks to be followed to make karupatti adhirasam recipe:
- First and main thing is to make karupatti adhirasam recipe use maavu pachaarisi. I will not turn perfect in noramal raw rice.
- Dont poweder it to a fine powder
- surgar consistancy should be like soft ball
- don’t over fry for long
More Karupatti recipes like,
Do try these Karuppati Recipes and Enjoy Diwali.
HAPPY DIWALI EVERYONE!!!