Neem Flower Rasam | Vepampoo Rasam has lot of medicinal qualities.This is not only special on Tamil New Year | Puthandu | Varudapirappu but also for normal days. This Rasam is not similar like normal South indian rasam. It is slightly tastes bitter as it carries neem flowers but it is too good for health.We can make this Neem flower rasam using fresh vepampoo.Since i didn’t get the fresh one i used the dried flowers.Do try this healthy and flavorful rasam and enjoy!!!
|Veppam Poo(Neem Flower) Rasam Recipe | Tamil New year Recipes
Author : Premalatha Aravindhan Category : South Indian Rasam Recipes, Tamil New Year Recipes Prep time: 3 mins cooking Time: 15 Mins Cuisine : TamilNadu Serves : 2-3
1 tbsp Dried neem flowers
A small gooseberry sized Tamarind
1 tsp ghee
1/2 + 1 cup water
1 tbsp Tur dal
1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
1/2 tsp Jaggery powder
A pinch Hing
1 tsp Ghee for frying neem flowers
Salt as needed
For the seasoning
1 tsp Oil
2 dry Red chillies(break the chillies into 2 pieces)
A sprig Curry leaves
- Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup warm water and extract the juice,keep aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan and fry the neem flower in low flame until they turn reddish brown.
- Pressure cook the dal with hing and turmeric powder.separate the thin water from the dal and keep aside.
- Now in the same pan heat the oil and temper the dry chilies and curry leaves.
- Now add in the thin water from the dal and the tamarind extract,salt mix well.Let it boil once it foams at the top,add in the fried neem flower and immediately switch off the stove,don’t boil it after adding the neem flower.Rasam is now ready to serve.
- You can use the fresh neem flowers if you get and it is more healthier than the dried one.
- You can garnish the coriander leaves on top and serve.
- If you feel the rasam tastes too bitter you can add jaggery otherwise no need to add jaggery.
- After adding the neem flower immedietly switch off the flame,don’t boil it after adding the neem flower.
Have a Nice Day!!!
Technorati Tags: Festival recipes,Healthy drink,Rasam Varieties,Soups vepampoo rasam,vepampoo rasam recipe,tamil new year recipes,how to make vemampoo rasam,healthy rasam,Vepampoo,South Indian Rasam Recipe,Receipes