|Vazhaipoo vadai (vada) recipe with video – Tips to clean Banana flower
Author: Premalatha Aravindhan Category: South Indian Snacks or Appetiser Recipes,
soaking time: 30 mins Prep time: 3o mins cooking Time: 25 Mins
Cuisine : TamilNadu ,Chettinad Yields : 10-12 Vadai
- 1/4 cup channa dal
- 1/4 cup toor dal
- 1 small sized banana flower / 2 cups chopped banana flower
- 2 green chilies chopped finely
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1/3 cup water for grinding(approximately)
- oil for frying
- soak channa dal and tur dal together for 30 mins.Drain the water completely from the dal,salt and grind it for 2-3 seconds.
- Add in green chilies, fennel seeds mix well with the grinded vada flour.
- Clean the banana flower, chop it and keep in diluted buttermilk until use to prevent discoloration.Then add the chopped banana flowers (drain all the buttermilk and then add), and grind it coarsely.Now mix the chopped banana flower with the vada flour mix well.
- Keep water in a bowl and wet your hand.Then take little batter with the wet hand and flatten it.Drop it slowly in hot oil.keep the flame medium to low while frying.
- If one side become golden brown turn the other side and wait until it turns into light golden brown on both sides.Drain the oil and take out the vadai.If the vadai is very oily then add little rice flour,mix well and make vadai.
- Grind the batter by adding a little water,if the vada drinks too much water adjust it by adding a tsp of rice flour into it.
- Keep the banana flower in buttermilk until use to avoid decolouration.
- Fry it in medium flame so that the vada turns crispy and also it will not get burn.