Vada Curry or Vadacurry
is the delicious deep fried dal vadas served with a spicy South Indian curry
with enough masalas to give your taste-buds a joy ride.This recipe is demonstrated by chef.Ashokkumar
,he was working as a chef in chennai airport and now he is working as a chef in Myanmar. Recently he visited singapore and shared some recipes with me. Am happy share his recipe Vadacurry with you all.
I am amazed seeing his style of cooking and also he shared some tips as they cooked in restaurants.Our home style vadacurry is entirely different. The vadacurry taste at hotel and restaurants are delicious secret behind them is the vadas are deep frying in oil and it doesn’t looks very crips because they are soaking in water before using them.
Do try this delicious vada curry recipe sure you love it. This would be a wonderful combo with idly ,dosa and also for steamed rice. Start making this as a side dish idly dosa instead usual chutneys and sambar.
|Restaurant style VadaCurry Recipe By Chef Asohkkumar
Author : Premalatha Aravindhan Category : Idly Dosa Side Dish Recipes Prep time : 10 mins Soaking time : 1 hour Cook time : 20 mins Cuisine : South Indian serves : 2-3
To make Vada we need:
1 cup Channa dal
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/4 tsp salt
To make curry we need:
2 medium sized onion chopped finely
2 dry red chilly
3 garlic pods finely chopped
1 in ginger thinly sliced
1 tbsp oil
1 inch cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
few curry leaf
1/3 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chilly powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 cup water
salt as need
coriander leaves for garnishing
To grind :
2 tbsp coconut
1 tsp poppy seeds
- Soak channa dal for an hour with enough water. Discard the water and add the channa dal ,fennel seeds and salt in mixie jar and grind it to a course paste without any water.
- Then heat oil in a kadai and start deep frying it. need not worry about the shape just sprinkle the mix in oil little little deep fry and take out. Fry it in 2-3 batches and take out.
- Drop the fried vadas into the water for while. Meantime make the curry, Add the fennel seeds,dry red chilly,cinnamon,cardamom,bay leaf and cloves and fry it .
- Now add in the chopped onion,ginger,garlic,curry leaves fry it till the onion become soft. Now add the chilly powder,coriander powder,turmeric powder and salt,fry it.
- Add in water and mix well with fried masala,let it to boil well till the raw smell goes out. Now add in the soaked fried vada without water and let it to boil.
- Finally add the grinded coconut and poppy seed paste,mix well. Bring it to boil well till it become thick curry.Once done transfer it in a serving bowl and garnish it with coriander leaves and serve it hot idly and dosa.
- While frying the vada fry in medium flame .Make sure the vadas showed inside and also should not turn black.
- Soak the vada in the warm water , it will suck the excess oil and also makes the vada soft.
- If you want you can dry roast the poppy seeds and coconut and grind it ,gives more flavour to curry.
- If you want more curry you can add the tomatoes while frying the onion ,since i have made semi curry so i didn’t add tomatoes.
Have a Happy weekend!!!